Tuesday, August 29

Awesome--photo won't load--stupid Blogger

They kicked ass, as you might have suspected. The funniest part was watching SIL shut down all pipes in a three row ring around her daughter. And everyone was very cool about it-- I have to admit, The honey and I were stunned at how well people took her request.

It was the first concert for both SIL and Fabu-Niece, and I'm glad they got to see a real blow your mind and your ears concert. My first concert was Power Station. ahem. It was the eighties, and Duran Duran was no more (we thought). By the time we got to go to the concert, we had both moved on musically, but my best friend (yet another Jeni) got tickets from her dad, and off we went to the Cow Palace in SF. After swearing to my parents that we would never leave his sight, Jen's dad waited in line with us and then told us where to meet him afterwards, because he'd sooner slit his wrists than go inside. Coolest Dad EVER.
The opening band was OMD. After that, I had to wait for Day on the Green at the Oakland Colliseum in 87(?) for U2, Pretenders, Hooters, and the BoDeans. I think we all know how that went. It was the Joshua Tree tour. 'nuff said.
Then in '91, another Day on the Green for Metallica, Queensryche, Faith No More, and Soundgarden. My date was a very pretty boy with big blue eyes and absolutely no common sense. He bought three hits for five bucks from some guy in the crowd, took them all, and proceeded to flip out. We had to park him halfway through Queensryche, and had to SIT on top of him for the entire Metallica set. The alternative was to let him get killed by the bikers whose asses he insisted on grabbing--male, female, front, back--he thought it was all just needing to be groped. Everyone was pissed (we went with his cousin and HIS girlfriend) , and when it was all over we went to IHOP and locked him in the car while we ate. That was the end of THAT relationship!
I went to see Robert Cray, then the Eagles, then Los Lobos (may I say, the most UNDERRATED rock n roll band ever), then another round with young Bob. Now the Chili Peppers. Not enough live music in my life!
I was grateful to not be the oldest, the geekiest, the fattest, or the most uncool. Fabu-Niece is such a cool kid. We were fascinated by the sign language interpreter rocking out down on the floor. What a killer job. We had terrible seats for the band but good for people watching.
What was your favorite concert?
AC/DC is my ring tone on my cell, but I would be afraid to see them at this point--what if they are old and bad? I don't think they've gone to the county fair circut yet, but man, I think I'll keep the fantasy. I'd still love to see Rush, Foo Fighters (Weezer opened for them last year-can you imagine what a show that would be?) , I'd see U2 again any day (same for Bob and Los Lobos). That's it, all I've got for tonight.
Who would you most like to go see?

oh, and Blogger sucks--go to flickr and check out other people's chili pepper photos--it was just like that!

No comments: