Thursday, August 31

Thursday 13 #9?



Thirteen Things Jen enjoys (or would like to)






1…. I would like a zen beauty parlor. What do I mean? Shut up and cut my hair. I get to escape my kiddos once every four to six months, I do not have a personal relationship with any hairdresser in town, please do not try to bond with me while you are shampooing my hair (I'll slip you an extra ten if you can make it a forty five minute hair wash--God I love that part!), and shhhhhh... listen to the snip snip snip. Ask me relevant questions if you must, but oh, a fountain and a cucumber water, and silence. Bliss. When I told my Honey this, he was horrified, he WANTS them to talk to him, and is offended if they don't. So you'd have to have just a zen room where they understand to shush.

2. On that beauty note, how about a soundproofed childcare room with video monitoring? I would happily pay extra if it meant I didn't have to co-ordinate daycare. The best part about shopping at the Cookie Lee showroom, is that they provide free childcare, with a constant video feed so you can check on the rugrats without peeking around the corner and upsetting them.

3. Okay last salon issue...can we add a zen manicurist in there? That way your english skills are not an issue, and can we bring back the hand massage? When I was in high school my manicures included a hand massage that was heaven. The little bling nails 2000 type salons don't do squat for you.

4. You should understand that I love a gimmick. The cheesier and more obnoxious the better. I love a GOOD happy meal toy. Something with a shelf life beyond a day and a half. Some of those toys are EPIC and still fun four years later.

5. Fruit in happy meals. Fruit on the menu at all at a drive thru.

6. I see on the web that there are healthy drive thrus out there, serving good wholesome food. Just not here. But we've got a drive thru Starbucks!

7. Vapor Patches for little ones instead of smearing goo which invariably got into Big O's eyes or mouth when he was still my little o. Don't ask me how, but it always happened.

8. Used Bookstores. We have 300,000 people and ONE used bookstore.

9. Target's dollar bins. Target in general.

10. America's Test Kitchen on PBS.

11. Lately, Real Simple Magazine. The prices on clothes are horrendous for the real world, but everything else is lovely.

12. Digital Cameras. I just cannot believe how many bad, blurry photos of my brother's eighth grade graduation we have, or maybe I cannot believe that the crappy 110 camera from 1978 failed to capture more than 3 good photos of my brother's big blond 'fro.

13. Novelty socks. My honey brought me a pair of funny socks, and I would so rather get those than a stuffed animal. I took part in a funky sock exchange a few months back, which was essentially a chain letter where you only put two names on the letter, the person who sent it TO you (Karen), and yours, and the six friends you sent it to sent one pair of socks to Karen, and their friends send one pair to you, etc. Theoretically you get 36 pairs of socks for the one pair that you send... I'm such a sock junky that this was perfect for me. I figured I'd get three pair (36 pairs, my *ss), and I actually netted 5. yay!

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!





Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



15 comments:

Tracie Nall said...

This list is great! I completely agree about the zen hairdresser--my husband, though, is just like yours and wants to chat. It's crazy.

Used bookstores--great! I wish I had one near me. :(

My TT is up!

DigiscrapMom said...

A zen beauty parlor...now I think I better go and find one!!

happy thursday!

*~*Michelle*~* said...

I love this list! Only the parlor cannot be too zen, because then it would be uppity and too uncomfortable.

We have a used bookstore. It's pretty good, but way too heavy on the Harlequins.

Mt TT is up. Happy Thursday!

Knitting Maniac said...

another lover of the target dollar bins!

Anonymous said...

I agree with the fruit at fast food places. I wish we had more healthy choices at most of these places :)

Great list, have a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

I think a Zen beauty parlor is a great idea.

Southern Girl said...

I keep reading good things about that "Real Simple" magazine -- I'm going to have to check it out!

My TT is up, too:
http://southern-born-and-bred.blogspot.com

Barbara said...

Nice list.But, I'm with your hubby; TALK to me while you are doing my hair! I have the best beautician alive, and man,does she know how to wash hair!

My TT is up.

Sayre said...

I love REAL SIMPLE! They have a television program on PBS (you'll have to check your own station's listings, though - it's not common carriage) that's quite well done and based on the magazine.

I love my hair guy. He's pretty sensitive to whether I feel like chatting or not. The last time I just felt quiet and he didn't talk at all unless to ask me specifically about my hair.

Today I saw a gorgeous Jaguar pulled up at the 7-11. The back seat was filled with Target bags. I wish I'd had my camera!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen...I have to agree, every time I go to get my hair cut I feel as though It's fifty questions! If I wanted to go through that I would stay home and say just get the dog clippers and come talk to me.hehehe

crse said...

ok this is FREAKING BRILLIANT. I have serious issues with the social balance at the salon. Either I find myself with a stylist who has less personality than my hair clippings or one who needs therapy and decides to try to get it from me. A Zen stylist would take all the pressure off the situation. Kudos my friend. When I make my first appointment at one of the trendiest new stores that are sweeping the nation I will tell them all I blogged with you back when....

Anonymous said...

the best part of the hair cut is the shampooing.. and eyebrow waxing.. and yeah they can shut up...I feel ya!

Geekwif said...

Fun list! I LOVE my digital camera, but it's on the fritz right now. :-(

FreddieGirl said...

Love. The. List.

I live in a cold, barren place... a place without Target. We call it Canada. When the husband and I went to Palm Springs in March to celebrate my 40th bday, we went to Target three days in a row. I kid you not.

Anonymous said...

great list! thanks for stopping by! ;)