Saturday, June 16

Insane Meme Weekend, part 1

One of the Reader MEMEs. I copied and pasted from a blog into Word one day and have just dusted it off and answered. If I stole it from you, I apologize.

Hardback or trade paperback or mass market paperback?

Just like it says in my profile, I love cheap mass market fiction! One handed reading, no sharp corners or stupid dustcovers. Portable and practical.

Amazon or brick and mortar? Um, Hi, former bookseller. I need to touch, and I really really need to scan the shelves looking for something to catch my eye. I miss bookstores. I will totally hunt down sequels online, though!

Barnes & Noble or Borders? Barnes and Noble – I worked for them for more than a decade. I miss them still.


Bookmark or dog-ear? Hahahhahaha. Dog-ear. Books are consumed at my house. Then they are passed on!


Alphabetize by author or alphabetize by title or random? Author if I were that anal. Again, books are meant to be passed on.


Keep, throw away, or sell? Give away. I pass it on because I loved it, or smut because I am embarrassed to be caught with it. I buy several copies of a book that I love, because I give it away, then find another copy at the used bookstore, and buy it to pass on again. I have re-re-re-purchased several books.


Keep dustjacket or toss it? MMMM…keep it. Toss it…keep it.


Read with dustjacket or remove it? I like my books naked. I do not fuss with books. Do not lend me a book you love and treasure. I get down and dirty with my books.


Short story or novel? Full Length Novel, thank you. I read waaaaay too fast to have the patience for short stories. I want something to engage me for at least a couple of hours.


Collection (short stories by same author) or anthology (short stories by different authors)? I kind of think collections are good for Erotica and not much else. I guess it depends. See my answer above, but I like finding new authors…


Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket? Potter. Can I say also that I …enjoyed the Golden Compass when it came out, and WANTED another one, read the first three, I think (are there more now?). But I am not sure that I ADORE the Golden Compass, or think it deserves the hype it’s getting. There were some elements that rendered it kind of Madeleine L’Engle for me. Concepts almost too off kilter, but you like the characters so you persevere. Does that make sense? Did any one else get that sensation?


Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks? When it’s over. I have to be truly exhausted to stop in the middle. Or my real life interferes and wants to be fed or changed. Is it bad that I was actually referring to the Honey?


It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time”? Once upon a time is more likely to be fantasy or smut, so definitely Once upon a time. I have enough dark and stormy nights in real life.


Buy or Borrow? Buy. Then pass it on.


New or used? I don’t care. A book is a book. But no library books, I never return them on time.


Buying choice: book reviews, recommendation or browse? Hours spent browsing is the beginning of my perfect day. With the advent of the freaking Thomas table, I see very little of the rest of the store, though.


Tidy ending or cliffhanger? Wrap it up for me! When Stephanie Plum left you hangin’ between Ranger and Morelli I though I was going to have to hunt Janet down and smack her. Whew!


Morning reading, afternoon reading or nighttime reading? Yes. You forgot mid-morning, late afternoon, early evening, and butt crack of dawn why can’t I sleep.


Stand-alone or series? A series gives me something to look forward to. A stand alone is so deliciously tidy…mmmm.


Favorite series? Hmmm… that’s tough. I don’t know that I could choose ONE.


Favorite Children’s book? Secret Summer of LEB, Gone-Away Lake, Wilfrid Gordon MacDonald Partridge, and Julius, Baby of the World. (I would totally consider a Lilly Tattoo.) All of the James Herriott books. Conversations with a Pocket Gopher by Jack Schaeffer. Narnia. Farley Mowat. Three Investigators. Frog and Toad. Are you my Mother?


Favorite book of which nobody else has heard? Skellig was a YA book that I liked, but the next book by that author was awful. Genellan by Gier was Flipping fantastic (Sci-Fi) or Keeper by Greg Rucka.


Favorite books read last year? I was poor last year. OOOH! I think I found George RR Martin last year, so I’ll say those. My best Jen also keeps me stocked with her leftover Sookie Stackhouse novels, which I enjoy—even though vampires are outside of my usual tastes.


Favorite books of all time? What kind of BS question is that? That list would go on forever. Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver made me cry… um, At home in Mitford was a wonderfully peaceful book about nothing. I didn’t WANT to read anything for a while after that. All of the books listed above under Children’s. Sleeping Dogs by Thomas Perry.

Least Favorite book you finished last year? EWWWW, a Carole Higgins Clark someone gave me. Bad. Not my usual thing at all, but I was desperate, it was very.very.bad. . .


What are you reading right now? Just finished Valentine’s Rising by E. E. Knight. Wishing I had the fifth one.


What are you reading next? GRRRRRR. Little O carried off the Naomi Novik book I just got, Black Powder War, the third in the Temeraire series. You cannot scold a four year old into remembering where they left something. My fault for thinking it’s cute when she grabs my books and reads with her babies in her lap. (I don’t know WHO could have taught her that one. She has to have a Grown up book for that, not a little girl book.) oops.

No comments: