Thursday, August 2

Rock and Roll, baby!

So today at work we were forced to change the radio station as the alterna-pop station played Bon Jovi for the third time. Bre said he sounds constipated, Ann said he sounds like Adam Sandler doing a parody of an 80's rock ballad. Do you see why I luv these wimmin?

Lo and behold, the rockin' cool AM station was playing yet another song that I adore and Bre is too young to remember. Okay, this one was not a SPECIAL favorite or anything, but a trip to Wal Mart the Dentist with a Rush song beats a slow work day trapped with Jon Bon Jovi and his impacted colon.

I was amused to find debates about the intended deeper meanings of this song. Rush has some deep and meaningful songs, but man, who has time to ponder those once you've retired your bong? They rock, and I love 'em. I still want to see them live, and am very jealous that the Mind has seen them multiple times. But I just don't have it in me to actively debate the deeper implications of ANY rock ballads anymore. Is that parenthood? Old age? Is my iTunes membership going to be revoked now that I have confessed?

Oh, yeah--the song.


There is unrest in the forest,
There is trouble with the trees,
For the maples want more sunlight
And the oaks ignore their pleas.

The trouble with the maples,
(And they're quite convinced they're right)
They say the oaks are just too lofty
And they grab up all the light.
But the oaks can't help their feelings
If they like the way they're made.
And they wonder why the maples
Can't be happy in their shade.

There is trouble in the forest,
And the creatures all have fled,
As the maples scream "Oppression!"
And the oaks just shake their heads

So the maples formed a union
And demanded equal rights.
"The oaks are just too greedy;
We will make them give us light."
Now there's no more oak oppression,
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw.

4 comments:

Maria said...

I am a lazy listener, in general. I pretty much HATE listening to the radio at all. Bing loves it, but she likes songs from the 70's...all that crappy disco stuff that makes me grit my teeth. She is a musician and swears that most of this stuff is sheer brilliance, but I dunno...it just makes me think of John Travolta in a white suit.

Once in a while, a song will slap me around but good. Blue Oyster Cult's Reaper. A Summer Song by Chad and Jeremy. But, it is mostly because they conjure up memories.

Anonymous said...

i can't listen to the radio anymore...too repetitive...every now and again it would be nice, but not daily...redundancy is insane.

crse said...

Im just not that into rush but i will tell you i heard the most awesome seventies song i totally forgot about. Except now I cant remember the name, who sings it, or how it goes!

Anonymous said...

I am a HUGE Rush fan!! They released a new CD this year, they are currently touring, and they are ON FIRE!!! Yes.... their lyrics are deep and their song subjects are nicely varied. Rush really rocks! I am an admitted Bon Jovi fan, but have to say that their music & lyrical content today is just not in the same stratosphere as Rush's. Bon Jovi puts on one heck of a great live show, though Bon Jovi ticket prices are astronomical these days!! (pun intended, lol.) As for the radio, I don't bother with it much either, though I do have satellite. I can't deal with free radio at all... ugh! If you have an opportunity to see Rush or Bon Jovi in concert, don't miss it... you won't regret it!!