Tuesday, July 25

Pet Peeve...

This may be more than a pet peeve, but slightly less than the throbbing vein in my forehead bursting... is there a term for that?

People who tell small children to Shut Up.

I'm not saying that you cannot silence your kids (Please, DO!). But there are a thousand ways to say it without those ugly words that reduce a small child to dust. I admit that I now say it to Big O, but only when we are in joke mode, never when we're seriously butting heads. He has reached double digits, and understands the context. Little O would not.

I was behind a lady in the grocery store, and she told her toddler to Shut Up. I know that we all have those days, and it HAS been 115+, but her kid wasn't even being annoying. Just talking about the things in the grocery store--identifying colors and things.

I just find that ugly and unfortunate.

It made me want to slap that bitch upside the back of the head. Hard. If you don't like them, don't breed.

Let me add that this was not a Sweats-with-holes and greasy-ponytail gum-chewing flip-flop wearing underachiever--that was me, minus the holes, the grease, and the gum--she was dressed like bank people or church people. You know those...heels and pearls on a Sunday evening when it's a thousand degrees and not a drop of sweat on her?

I yearn for the day when I can pull off a hot Sunday afternoon NOT looking like I was just spit out of the dryer--hair frizzed and escaping my pony, sweating and wild eyed as I march my kids through the store because I cannot put off grocery shopping any longer. sigh. But my kids are people and I treat them as such. Please and thank you are universally applied. Is common courtesy a dying concept?

2 comments:

Jen said...

Man, I couldn't agree with you more. I hate to hear it, and won't even say it when I am seriously peeved. Somehow it still comes flying out of my husband's mouth, and it feels like figernails on a chalkboard. How do you tell an adult not to be rude and say shut up?

crse said...

Ok i say it? but only in jest. I HATE it when parents are mean to their kids. And Im never going to be that woman either. Ever.