Wednesday, July 26

WTF Wednesday

Let me preface this by saying it out loud. I'm white. I am blinding when bared, glow in the dark, Ward and June Cleaver white bread white. Having said that, I am intelligent, and reasonably young. Some of the songs on the radio are funny in a misogynistic/misguided way, and the bouncy tunes are fun for brief periods. I am not the crazy cat lady who thinks all young people are evil, or cursing rap music as the downfall of society. Nor am I that bitter woman wishing for the fifties or sixties again, angry that the Beatles ever showed up to "ruin" things. I'm not that woman.

But WTF?

As I have stated, I live pretty close to the stinky armpit of California's great Central Valley. We are not Miami, or L.A., or any other hip place ever featured on MTV. A few weeks ago in the local paper, there was a write up about local car buffs, who tricked out their cars like their Mack Daddy heroes on MTV. But this is the Central Valley, where your paycheck is more likely coming from Burger King, and so the fellows in the article have made some adjustments. They pimp out their rides, all right, but budget style! They cannot afford a caddy, and they are not ashamed to admit it. For these guys, the ride of choice is a Buick.

So the Puritanical Quaker budget Nazi within salutes these guys for living within their means. Absolutely. My inner Jen is screaming*if you didn't spend four grand on rims, you could've had a nicer car! These guys were in the paper for building their own lifestyle brand (they had a name for it-209 Hyphy? Thinking about calling it Styphy for Stockton-hyphy), because they were Rollin' Budget style.

So now the madness continues*.

Yesterday we had an article about the local music scene, and they included they lyrics from a rising local talent. Ready?

"I'll beat you down to a pulp and slide off in a Chevelle,
Don't come from out of town with that bull,
We're 209 hyphy
We fight like it's cool."

-Dee Underdue
-"Like to Fight-Valley Anthem"

WTF was that? Maybe this one will tickle your Mother's soul*

"We got that rough for those who come from out of town hatin'
No conversatin' when you're disrespectin' Stockton, Cali
You call it Mudville,
Here we call it Murder Valley.

-Mackalot
-"I'm from Stockton"

I take it back. I am that lady. Shut the f*ck up about your Chevy Chevelle (isn't that the hatchback thing?). I'm moving to the sticks with my parents. Kiss your homemade Mexican food goodbye, Honey. I'm not taking your mother.

I'd like to thank the Stockton Record for this post. It is officially a WTF Wednesday now.

1 comment:

crse said...

I am afraid Im too white to even understand this