Monday, October 2

Buy some stamps-eat some Yogurt


pink ribbon
Originally uploaded by Lynxy.



Carolee Wallis was my mother-in-law.

She was a tiny woman with sparkly brown eyes, and she was soft and squishy and tender hearted. I could not have asked for a more perfect grandmother for my son. She was kind of fluttery and really should have been in a fifties sitcom. She was a very fifties kind of mom.

The ironic thing is that Carolee was a survivor.

She survived her childhood, with family issues that no one talked about at the time. She survived the death of her first husband, left with three small children to raise. She survived the abandonment of her second husband, in the midst of her second pregnancy with HIM, leaving her with five kids under ten. She even managed to survive the next two disastrous marriages.

She found true love when she least expected it, and by the time I met her had settled into domestic bliss, taking care of little independent seniors in her community. They were her "ladies" and she gave them companionship and transportation, and made sure that they weren't living out of cat food cans.

She was the very definition of a caregiver.

But when she was diagnosed with breast cancer, she wasn't cared for. The doctor treating her was undergoing treatments for a wasting disease himself, and weeks after her mastectomy, he passed away. Carolee had faith in the system and was sure that if something more needed to be done, someone would be calling her.

She fell through every crack like alice through the looking glass. By the time she insisted that she needed to be seen, she had a festering wound. The woman who took care of everyone else died with a gaping black hole in her chest . It's been six years and I am still incredulous and angry. The woman who had survived so much just couldn't survive this.

Carolee died surrounded by her family, at home, and we worepink ribbons at her funeral. I have my pink ribbon, still held together by the angel pin she gave to us at christmas, up on the wall at my job, to remind me how lucky I am to be here and how precious it all is.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Support it any way you see fit-but support it.

Carolee Wallis was my mother-in-law.

2 comments:

crse said...

Wow, thats quite a sad scary story. Its a good wake up call for everyone on several levels. Thanks for that, buddy.

Sayre said...

I'm so sorry about your mother-in-law... My aunt died of breast cancer too. But she didn't do anything medical about it. She'd become a Christian Scientist and they rely on the power of Mind to heal. She's been gone for nearly 12 years... And I miss her!