Thursday, September 14

Thursday 13 # 11--Best.Toys.Ever.

I seriously have to read a book and figure out how to get pictures to appear straight from my computer--the directions seem simple, but they never take. I apologize for all of my links, as opposed to photos.

1. Baby Beans. According to this price guide, she was actually Bitty Beans. When Little O was born, a crazy customer gave the Honey an outfit with a bonnet trimmed in eyelet lace. My mom took one look at her and said "You know who she looks like in that?" and I said "Baby Beans!" And she totally did. I had four dolls that I played with when I was little. Baby Beans was the queen. She had white pom poms trimming her pink polyester sleeper, and my dog Coco chewed off her vinyl hands one day, but she was still the best...

2.Magic Window Did anyone have this thing? It was the coolest. We got one that glowed in the dark when I was a little older--so simple, but I'd take this over my etch a sketch any day.

3. Storybook Records. I only had three. I had the Wizard of Oz, with Dorothy & Co coming out of a forest on the yellow brick road- The cover was dark green due to the forest scene, and I couldn't even find a photo to link to. If I still had it, it would probably have been my college fund. My luck runs like that. I also had the storybook/album for Pete's Dragon. I can still sing you most of the Pete/Elliot "I Love You, Too" song. And last, but NEVER least, I had the Hobbit. The Cartoon Version. Wierd songs sung by seventies folk singers. good times.

4.Kick N Go. I think I mentioned this in an earlier post. My daddy rode it in at the end of the Farrel's line for my fourth or fifth Birthday. I remember that moment SO well.

5. My teddy Bear looks like a blonde Steiff bear, but I doubt he's a real one. I still have him. Once again, our garbage dog, Coco, chewed off his glass eyes--My brother felt so bad for me that he took a permanent marker and colored two new ones out of paper and scotch taped them on. They are still there, all curled up and tiny, but I look at those steiff bears, and they don't have nearly the charisma my teddy does.

6. I had a wierd rubbery vinyl baby doll that would sneeze when you squeezed her belly. She had beautiful silky blonde hair. Apparently, while she could drink a bottle and pee in a diaper, she could not go into a bath tub. Forever after, she could not sneeze, she just sounded like she was having a prolonged asthma attack, or the dry heaves. In spite of the asthma, she replaced Baby Beans as my baby of choice, and I still have her. Who knows where her clothes ever got to, and her blonde hair stands straight up--she's kind of the hitler youth version of Don King.

7. I had 2 Raggedy ann dolls--one skinny and one fat. Okay, the fat one was just WIDER than the other one. Like twice as wide. I think my mom got them at the green stamp store--remember those? How in the world did those stores work? Anyway, Big Annie got her revenge, as she got a second life when my brother was in high school. He and his friends on the swim team would go on Commando Raids on each others houses. These involved TP'ing and the usual, but one night they stole Annie out of the truck and cut off all of her hair. The girls on the team felt bad, and so they gave her green yarn hair to replace it and soon Annie was being left at the scene of each commando raid, each time gettting something new--She had a full cammo suit and multiple accessories by the time she vanished for good.

Okay, the last six are books, because books made me who I am today. Oh, and my parents might have helped.

8. The Ant & Bee Books These were british and I absolutely loved them. Bee's hat still cracks me up.

9. Wee Gillis This is from the same team that brought you Ferdinand the bull. A boy in Scotland travels between his family in the highlands and his family in the lowlands.

10. The Three Investigator Books. Kids working as private eyes under the influence of Alfred Hitchcock. They were great! Also the Mad Scientists' Club.

11. Little house books. All of 'em. On the Banks of Plum Creek is probably my favorite, though--the sod roof and the leeches...

12.Gone Away Lake. Although not with this cover--mine was much cheesier. I read this book over and over.

13. The Secret Summer of L.E.B. A secret friendship between an "in-crowd" girl and an outcast boy gets put to the test. I loved this book, too--read it over and over AND over again.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I still profess my forbidden love for Mr Linky and renew my pledge to bear him children. If Mr. Linky turns out to be female, well, we'll have to work something out.

Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!









What is this??? Mr Linky is snubbed by the Almighty Hub? I don't use wordpress, and I'm too late to try to install it tonight...Why? WHY? WHY??? What foul thing has my linky-poo done to deserve such treatment?????

13 comments:

Raggedy said...

Great list!
I enjoyed reading and hopping to the links...
Mine is up too

K said...

A fun list! I had the Raggedy Ann doll and the Little House books! I never had the others though. I do remember seeing those dolls though.

Anonymous said...

Great list. :) I had a whole bunch of Disney Storybook records, and they were the best. :) I read all the Little House books too, multiple times, but I took them out from the library. ;) Thanks for sharing. :)

Anonymous said...

The only one that's familiar to me are the storybook records. Was I really that deprived as a child? LOL!

Jennfactor 10 said...

Shrone- I didn't know what it was called, either! I had to search for seventies sand toy...

Pippajo said...

Wow, this list took me back! One of my friends had the Magic Window and I remember being totally entranced by it. I read and re-read those Little House books until they fell apart, and I had totally forgotten about the Ant and Bee books until I saw the cover! My grandparents had one of those but I can't remember which one.

Now, one more thing. You mentioned Farrel's, like the ice cream parlor? Was it at a mall? Did they create a racket with a siren and stuff on birthdays? And was it THE place to go on your birthday for that reason? I REMEMBER that place! We used to BEG to go there. Another thing I hadn't thought of in years.

Thanks for the memories!

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard of ANY of these toys, with the exception of the Raggedy Anns...I must live in a time warp!

Meira{FB} said...

Hmmmmmmmmm....I had a raggedy ann doll, blocks, wooden train. Plastic cowboys n indians. Course it was the dark ages when I was a child.

Happy TT!

crse said...

I want a magic window. Im going to ask santa. This is such a great list! Happy TT!

Nicole said...

Great list!

Boy, u brought back some memories for me.

FreddieGirl said...

Ant & Bee - yes! Gosh that takes me back... I'm so old!

Anonymous said...

Story book records were the best!

Jennfactor 10 said...

tee hee. I love you too, linky.