Saturday, September 16

Woo Hoo! Karate Kid!

Big O Tested for his high orange belt last night--his was the highest belt testing, thank goodness. Little O barely survived the testing as it was. The test is simply showing each of the moves required for the belt. Everyone starts out, and as each belt's moves are finished, that belt steps back and sits down. On the night Big O tested out of his white belt, into a low yellow, someone was testing for a blue belt. Holy Bejeebus, that night was never going to end. I ended up having to leave because Little O was having a meltdown.







Last night there were only six kids, and Big O's was the highest. As a mom, I cannot wait for the Purple belts, when Big O can get a Black Ghi. Putting an eleven year old into a snowy white pristine outfit that he has to wear three or four times a week is nerve wracking. And the black ghi looks cool. I'll take him to get his pictures taken when he gets into a black ghi.

Speaking of black versus white, I showed the honey the wing that I finished stitching together, and yeah, it's all black right now, the pink panels have not been added. He says to me...

Did it have to be BLACK? Couldn't it have been white...you know, like an Angels wing...

I did very well. He still has all of his teeth and I was very pleasant when I explained that it's NOT an angel--we've been there and done that, by the way-- it's a freaking butterfly. Think Monarch. Think every cartoon you've ever seen. I'm not making her a MOTH, I am making her a butterfly.

Sidebar: Big O's dad, my ex, was famous for telling me that what I had done was very nice, but too bad I hadn't done THIS, THIS would have made it perfect. Cooking, costumes, Birthday parties, he always knew just what was lacking after the fact. The Honey was on very thin ice, last night. Especially as I had been trapped with the ex at karate, while he fretted about how the shifu was running the test (ex, currently a yellow belt, of course knew better than the freaking 26 year veteran Shifu). I got a lot of frantic sewing done on Little O's costume to keep from sticking the needle in his eye. Where was the Honey? Out drinking with his buddy. Thin ice, indeed. Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

ditzymoi said...

thin ice thats melting fast lol

and that needle is really to small to stab in the ex's eye ... wait till youre knitting :)

Jennfactor 10 said...

Th knitting needle is for the heart...nice and long. I just thought if he was squealing in pain, he'd shut the hell up about Shifu.

Bloodthirsty, today, aren't I?

Sayre said...

Man, I hate it when the current husband says or does something the ex used to do... that drove me crazy. I just sweetly mix up their names and he gets the point... (pun intended).

crse said...

Oh sister, I just had this conversation less than an hour ago about how "not quite" is an esteem sapping soul crusher. And strangely, perhaps in empathy? i was emanating violence from every pore....yay big O and yay for you for keeping them all alive.

Anonymous said...

Easy Jen,
That's why he's the ex!!! Remember that...he'll never, ever "get it" Again, that's why he's the EX!!! Thank God, ya know?

Anonymous said...

right on congratulations on the karate !!!

As you may or may not know..I have two sons that have been in karate. Both have been members of the canadian national karate team and both have competed at the world level and won medals for canada.....

Just think on day your son may as well.

Right now my oldest has taken a leave of absence from karate ( braces time) he is a brown belt.

My younger son ( 13) just received his black belt last june. so he is now a sensei!!!

We are actually in the process of signing him to another karate school because ..as your son will learn...being a black belt is not where it stops it is where it all truly starts....

My son does all aspects of karate, he does kumite( fighting) Katas, weapons, self defence, and he also teaches the under belts.
He does cardio kickboxing, cardio bag class, and cardio body shape.

He attends training 7 days a week and most days he has 2 classes..one karate and one cardio.

If you ever have the chance to read back through some of my entries... your son will see what I thought was the most important of all....when my son went for his black belt testing...one thing he had to do was write an essay on what karate meant to him....

His essay to my joy and some people's amazement wasnt really about karate but about the special friendship he has with one boy he would never have met had it not been for karate.

Karate is a journey, achieving the black belt is just one stop along the way...keep at it little man!!!
be proud mom!!!!