Tuesday, June 6

Mom Moment

I listen to new parents tell me that they cannot wait until their child is able to talk. To communicate.
I don't laugh at them. I don't lecture them about enjoying the silence while they can. I don't even roll my eyes.

Bwahahahahhahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I am the mother of a three and a half year old.

Have you ever seen the Saturday Night Live skit with Noony? nuuni? gneuni? It's not hysterically funny to me, and I always heave a sigh when one comes on, because they tend to drag them out too long. But in the midst of another long circuitous conversation with my daughter it occurred to me that I am living that skit. I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is she wants me to repeat, but she is going to be like a dog with a bone until I get it right.
GNEUNI?
no, say noony.
NOONY.
no no no say newknee
NOONY
no NO NO

It's like she's reading me the IKEA catalog. She is the only one who knows the word I'm supposed to be repeating, or looking at. God help me when we're driving and she says look. Because the answer to the question look at what? is invariably the word "that." But she's old enough now that she knows the um-hmm, and the yes, that's nice. She now wants interactive feedback on "that." Specific, interactive feedback.

I can't wait for your child to communicate either, guys. I just can't wait.

1 comment:

ditzymoi said...

jennnnnnnnnnnnnnn!! Im so proud of you!!! I knew you would love this and Im going to enjoy reading your stuff!
I'll add your link to my pages and if you need help just ask! *does a lil happy dance* im so excited !!