Tuesday, June 27

Tasty Tuesday!

Did your mother make you eat brussel sprouts when you were a kid? We had them every once in a while, and they came frozen in the little white waxed box. They were slimy and reeky and were like eating large green balls of something the cat regurgitated. Needless to say, I was a big fan. Imagine my joy when my brother announced he was making Brussel Sprouts for dinner.

Wow. Fresh brussel sprouts are a whole different animal. er, vegetable.

I was able to re-create this one pretty easily, too. You chop bacon and fry it until it's about to be crisp. Do not cook it all the way (Like I did). Cut your little brussel sprouts in half lengthwise, and boil them for 4-5 minutes, then drain and plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain off all but a little of the bacon grease, and throw the sprouts in with the bacon, with some slivered almonds. Now my brother has chile oil to throw in, but I just used crushed red peppers--the little flakes like you use for pizza? yep. Sautee until the bacon is done and serve it up!


Okay, I know, ANY vegetable is going to be better fried with bacon and almonds. But these are brussel sprouts, people. I burned the bejeezus out of the bacon, and it was still tasty! Amazing.

No comments: