Tuesday, March 27

Wow!




Pippajo has awarded me the Thinking Blogger Award. I could not BE more shocked (thank you, Chandler Bing). May I add flattered? I find blogging to be an entertaining way to keep me out of Target—when the security guards know your kids’ names, it time to think about staying home. I get to use the verbiage that would be wasted on my customers, and vent a little. Okay, a lot. But to hear this from Pippa, who writes about deeply personal stuff, and has moved me to tears more than once, is amazing to me. I agree, that this award means I have a big responsibility to choose 5 blogs that really make me think. The problem is that I generally come to the internet to Unplug. I read blogs that will entertain me. This will require some thought.

Okay, I know how she feels about blogging popularity contests, but I can’t NOT say Irreverent Antisocial Intellectual. All comparisons to Chuck Norris aside, she has a unique perspective on the dregs of society, and the ability to speak with authority on dealing with them. The fact that she shares her knowledge with her readers without cushioning the blow and without apology is a glorious thing to behold. IAI, if it’s any consolation, there are no hearts on this button, and it comes in metallic colors, like your beloved hardware (Okay, I really picture your guns being no-nonsense matte black, but work with me here, you’re already pissed off). Face it lady, when you write the way you do, and with the scope of topics covered, eventually accolades WILL come your way. Shut the fuck up and say thank you—you’ve not been voted prom queen, you’ve been voted ass-kicking queen of the mathletes. Now take it. (oooh, I feel so empowered! Should I be pulling your hair?)

And Now for Something Completely Different…

Pendullum
Pendullum does not post as often as I’d wish, but when she does, they are extraordinary. She is always a well written and satisfying read.

Still Life With Soup Can
Sarah at Soup Can is another one I read for fun; she is a sci-fi fan and a cat lover. Sarah is, as she puts it, living in a post apocalyptic city. Her casual references to life in post Katrina New Orleans are always startling. I’m sorry, but I think we HAVE forgotten what happened, and that folks down there are still waiting for all of the help we promised them. I wish I could say that that will all change with a Democrat in office, but a democrat is still a politician, and bureaucracies still choke the life out of any attempt at change.

My fourth choice is a new blog for me, I was following the MyBlogLog links, and found Charles Sheehan-Miles
His IS a thinking blog, and led me to this nauseating story of soldiers being treated as meat. I swear to Dog, that scene in The Wall, where the kids are being ground up? I’d like to see a You Tube of THAT with a big picture of Dubya turning the crank. What am I talking about?
Read this.

My final nominee would be Sayre.
What can I say about Sayre? I found her during the fabulous Nikki’s weight loss contest, Operation Lose that Ass. Sayre not only lost that ass, she is still enjoying the karate classes she signed up for during that time, and I find that inspiring as hell. Sayre is someone I would love to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon with. You’d be guaranteed great conversation spanning a wide range of topics.

The directions I was given are these:
1. If, and only if, you get tagged, write a post with links to 5 blogs that make you think, 2. Link to this post so that people can easily find the exact origin of the meme, 3. Optional: Proudly display the 'Thinking Blogger Award' with a link to the post that you wrote



I heart Mert.

5 comments:

Mary said...

Congratulations on winning!

Uploading a pic is easy, and I will show you how to do it, but for now... go to dork bloggers under "edit posts". You'll see a draft I made called "practice , click edit and click at the top of the post on the "html" tab , above "preview".

now all you should have to do is copy and paste that code into your post where you want the image to show up. Then click preview to make sure it shows correctly.

I write a little something up for you on how to upload pics when I have a chance!

Sayre said...

Wow - thanks! I'd love to spend a Sunday afternoon with you too! I did this meme a little while ago, so I've already covered my ass - speaking of which, I still have mine and I'm STILL working on it! Some projects take longer than others. Sigh.

Pendullum said...

Congratulations on winning !!!
And giving me such an honour with such other great blogs???I am honoured! Truly!
But I feel as though I am a fake; a phoney... as I can not figure out how to link to great blogs on my blog...so how? How, could I be a thinking blog when I can not get around the most basic of blogging experiences???

I will try... I suppose I need to take out Bolgging for Dummies ors omething along those lines...

Sayre said...

Oh, Pend - thank god I'm not the only one who can't figure that one out!!! I wound up just typing out the blog address to get mine to work. But it's not the same as just clicking on the name and magically GOING there. I think I need to buy a book or something...

Charles Sheehan-Miles said...

Thanks so much for the plug! I don't really think that much, but its always nice to have an appearance of thinking....