Thursday, July 20

Thursday 13! # 3

Thirteen Sweetest Things Jen has known

1... My brother talked to his wife's belly every night and when my niece was born, my brother followed the baby into the nursery to be weighed and measured. We were all pressed up against the glass and we could hear her screaming. My brother leaned down and started talking to her, and she instantly stopped crying and drew her arms and legs in, and just listened to him.
2... My former mother in law died at home surrounded by her children and her husband, and when the coroner came to take her away, her husband stood on the porch whispering that he should have kept her with him for one more hour. It wasn't creepy, it was as touching a thing as I've ever seen, and someday I want someone to love me that deeply.
3... A co-worker struggled for years to have a baby, to no avail. Not two months after losing her mother, she became pregnant, and I think it's proof that you CAN get a little help from above.
4... I used to sing my son to sleep, and in the midst of my marriage falling apart, my sweet boy took my face in his hands, and sang "You are my sunshine" perfectly. He was three.
5... My parents still hold hands.
6... When my ex's mom started losing her hair to chemo, she was very sad and felt like she was losing her identity (Her husband always called her curly). We got out the clippers and had a head shaving party for her so she wouldn't have to wake up with it on her pillow every day. It was very impromptu, but was warm and loving, and she was very brave.
7... Listening to my mexican mother in law tell my daughter about her grandfather, who passed away two years before I met my Honey. My Honey was really close to-and still has trouble talking about- his dad, but his mom will tell Little O stories (in Spanish, even though Little O doen't speak Spanish).
8... My grandma brushing my grandpa's hair as he was dying.
9... When I was four I thought my dad wasn't going to make it to my birthday, he had to work. At the end of the party, when the Farrell's workers made a big train and ran all around the restaurant announcing my birthday and bringing out the ice cream, my dad was at the end of the line riding a kick-n-go with a bow on it. Best entrance ever. Best birthday ever. That's why little girls love their daddies.
10... My brother surprised his wife for their tenth anniversary. He whisked her off to Hawaii and married her again on the beach. Just the two of them.
11... My Honey and Little O slow-dancing at the wedding. They tried on top of his shoes for a while, but ended up with her head on his shoulder, just beaming. They both were.
12... Babies fresh from the bath, smelling like Johnson's shampoo and warm baby. That is just bliss.(NO babies. NO NO NO babies. stick me with a fork, I'm done. NO Babies.) The best smell in the world.
13... When my honey does the dishes. I hate doing dishes. I'll cook you a FEAST, but I'll serve it to you on paper plates, if I'm washing dishes. I cannot count on him to do them regularly, but what a glorious surprise when he does it.
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!1.http://adjunky.wordpress.com/ 3.http://creekistan.blogspot.com 4.http://www.patentprincess.com 5.http://unexploredterritory.blogspot.com/
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


Okay I obviously need to learn the voodoo involved with the fabulous box where you insert your own link when you leave a comment...

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, those are totally sweet!!

Great TT!

Anonymous said...

My mother-in-law's mom just died of breast cancer in January... so i can totally relate to the sad, but sweet and somehow amazing moments that you talked about.

Great List! (mine are up too!)

Amy The Black said...

All wonderful moments. But I have to especially agree with you on the Baby Smell. We used to pass the baby around and say "You want a hit?"

Anonymous said...

Awwwww, I absolutely loved your list! Very sweet things indeed :)

My list is up too.

Knitting Maniac said...

dude ... # 1 gave me chill bumps! SOOO sweet and awesome.

Anonymous said...

These are great. I was with my brother Dan when he died and that was my one regret... I wished I had stayed with the body longer after he passed.

Trish Ess said...

Best list I've seen today. :)

Happy TT!
Mine are up.

Mama Duck said...

So sweet!! Happy TT, mine's up ;).

Fingers To Toes Photography said...

OH WOW, I started crying at number one and did not stop...those are all wonderful! WOW

Raggedy said...

Very Sweet!
Great List!
My TT is up :)

astrocoz said...

That is a very touching list.

My TT is up!

crse said...

That was the most touching list ever. My heart is totally feeling that list.

My TT is up

Anonymous said...

Those were very touching and warming instances in your life-- thanks for sharing. My TT is at http://www.minthegap.com/?p=565